Freek has been a television reporter, producer and presenter for almost 40 years specializing in in-depth political, economic and social affairs. In January 2010 he became the anchor of the current affairs programme on the TV channel KykNet: Robinson Regstreeks (Robinson Live). And since July 2010 the main anchor of the Afrikaansnews broadcast, eNuus on Kyknet. Previously (since 1994) he presented the television current affairs programme Focus on SABC2. Until July 2010 he was also the host of a daily radio talk show “Praat Saam” on the radio station RSG.
Freek Robinson has extensive experience in the following areas:
- Training business executives and students in radio and television interviewing and presentation skills. Clients include Deloite, MTN, Idea Engineers, Provox, Mercedes, Roche, the Universities of Johannesburg, Rhodes, Stellenbosch, North West, Free State, Tshwane University of Technology, the IAJ, the International Negotiating Academy and many other private institutions;
- Presenter of internal corporate communication sessions, business broadcasts and audio link-ups;
- Narration of television/film productions – for documentary/news or corporate video purposes.
- Facilitation of public or corporate/business debates on virtually any subject for whatever purpose;
- Chairman of conferences and seminars on topics of public or corporate/business interest;
- MC at all sorts of occasions;
- Script writing;
- Producing/directing of television documentaries. He produced and presented several documentaries on economic and political issues in Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong, China, India, Europe, the USA, Australia and Africa.
- His last permanent position at the SABC was: Senior manager, stakeholder management
Masters degree in Journalism, the University of Stellenbosch
Honours Degree in Literature, University of Pretoria
Diploma in Senior Management, University of Stellenbosch Business School;
Diploma as a Trained Trainer in Television presentation from the Commonwealth Broadcasting Association.
Certificate in television presentation skills, Thompson Foundation (UK);
Certificate in Economic Literacy, University of the Witwatersrand
- ATKV awards for best current affairs television presenter in every year since 2008
- Best presenter – SABC TV News Awards 2006
- Sanlam TV/Radio Journalist of the Year (1997)for presenting and producing a documentary on the economies of South East Asia;
- Avanti Award nomination for presentation (twice);
- Artes Award for television presentation
- Science and Technology award for executive producing a series on the economic challenges of the new millennium;
- Star Tonight awards (twice) for Executive Producing actuality programmes;
- Short listed for Niemann fellowship (twice).
- Chaired the Mandela/De Klerk debate in 1994 broadcast to 800 million people across the globe.